.

Glen Burnie Student Dies, School Alerts Parents of Possible Meningitis

School officials are informing parents about the possibility of bacterial meningitis.

A Glen Burnie High School student died Tuesday after falling ill on Monday with symptoms similar to bacterial meningitis, reports The Baltimore Sun.

The student—a female junior at the school—has not been identified by Anne Arundel County Public Schools and the positive diagnosis of meningitis has not been confirmed, according to the report.

Anne Arundel County Public Schools sent a letter home to GBHS parents informing them of the girl's death, and including information about bacterial meningitis, which is less contagious than viral meningitis, reports The Sun.

Bob Mosier, AACPS spokesperson, told The Sun that the school system is providing additional information and emotional support to students and staff.

According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, most people recover from bacterial meningitis, but severe cases can cause death, brain damage, hearing loss and learning disabilities.

The CDC website says the bacteria that cause meningitis are "not as contagious as diseases like the common cold or flu." More information on bacterial meningitis is available at the CDC website. 

Get local stories delivered right to your inbox or smartphone everyday with our free newsletter. Simple, fast sign-up here.

Like us on Facebook | Follow us on Twitter | Sign up for our newsletter

Boards

More »
Got a question? Something on your mind? Talk to your community, directly.
Note Article
Just a short thought to get the word out quickly about anything in your neighborhood.
Share something with your neighbors.What's on your mind?What's on your mind?Make an announcement, speak your mind, or sell somethingPost something
See more »