County Executive John R. Leopold was subpoenaed Wednesday as the Office of the Maryland State Prosecutor investigates whether he misused government resources last year when he asked his security detail to perform personal errands.
A spokesman for Leopold said the county executive will cooperate with prosecutors.
"The county executive is complying with any and all requests for information from the state prosecutor," spokesman Dave Abrams said.
The Maryland Gazette reported that prosecutors have subpoenaed Leopold's official schedule going back to 2008. The county executive told the Gazette earlier this week that he asked his security detail to run errands last year while he recuperated from back surgery. The Gazette also reported that two of the five officers assigned to protect Leopold last year collected a total of $62,600 in overtime.
The state prosecutor's office declined to confirm the subpoenas were handed down.
"We never confirm nor deny the existence of any investigation, whether we are doing one or not," Deputy State Prosecutor Mike McDonough said.
Joanna Conti, Leopold's opponent in the November election for county executive, said that state prosecutors phoned her Wednesday morning and asked her about what she had heard about Leopold using his security detail to take down her yard signs.
"They asked me about one thing [Wednesday] morning—had I ever heard that Mr. Leopold was asking security detail to take down some of my signs," she said in an interview with Patch. "I confirmed to them that I had heard that rumor, and also that I had heard that he asked them to put up his own signs. I also told them that these were things that I could not confirm, I didn't have any proof of this."
Read the full Gazette story here: mdgazette.com/content/leopold-served-subpoena.