Five drivers were arrested for driving under the influence (DUI) in the northern part of the county on Friday, according to Anne Arundel County police.
Patch previously reported that police would conduct a DUI checkpoint iniative on Friday along Ritchie Highway and 11th Avenue in Brooklyn Park. According to police, the Brooklyn Park area accounted for 6 percent of all DUI arrests and approximately 4 percent of DUI-related crashes in 2011.
County police worked with Maryland State Police to run two separate checkpoints on northbound and southbound Ritchie Highway, as well as running other patrols in the area.
Police said in a press release that officers were in contact with 695 drivers and made 11 arrests:
- 5 drivers were arrested for DUI
- 1 was arrested for possession of narcotics
- 1 was arrested for disorderly conduct
- 2 were arrested for driving on a suspended license
- 1 was arrested for an open arrest warrant
- 1 was arrested for prostitution (as a result of patrols in the area)
If you see vehicles operated by impaired drivers, you may contact the police department at 410-222-8610 and provide a description of the vehicle, tag number and direction of travel.