A 13-year-old boy was seriously injured Monday evening when some fireworks exploded in his hand, fire officials said.
Firefighters responded at about 6 p.m. Monday to a report of a hurt child, said Anne Arundel County fire spokesman Batallion Chief Matt Tobia. According to ABC 2, the incident occurred in the 100 block of Ferndale Avenue.
They discovered the boy was playing with some commercial fireworks when one exploded in his hand. Emergency crews transported the boy to the Curtis National Hand Center at Union Memorial Hospital in Baltimore with serious injuries, Tobia said.
A fire spokesperson told ABC 2 that the device was a commercially available firework that is not legal and said the boy's injuries will result in permanent damage.
Tobia said the incident is an example of how children should avoid playing with fireworks. He said children should be told that if they come across an explosive device, they should immediately bring it to the attention of an adult.
Glen Burnie Patch Editor Maya T. Prabhu contributed to this report.