Are you a member of a local senior center?
Here's a list of planned activities at the Pascal and Brooklyn Park senior centers, according to press releases from the Anne Arundel County Department of Aging and Disabilities.
, 125 Dorsey Rd.: Call 410-222-6680 for information.
- May 2—Members of Boy Scout Troop 129 will meet from 1:30 to 3 p.m. to join center members to play billiards. Refreshments will be provided by the Scouts Bridging Generations Through Service Committee.
- May 4—The center will host a flea market, craft and bake sale, flower mart and fine art exhibit from 9 a.m. to 2 p.m. Donated treasures and baked goods are being accepted.
- May 10—Baltimore historian and educator Wayne Schaumburg will present a slide show, “The Feminine Touch: Women in Baltimore History,” at 12:30 p.m. The talk will focus on the period from 1776 to 1950 and include both famous and infamous women who contributed to Baltimore’s growth.
- May 15, 22 and 22—The Pascal Center will host the free Caregiving Workshop Series from 6:30 to 8:30 p.m. Mary Fridley, founder of Gero-Resources LLC, will facilitate. The series is presented by the National Caregiver Support Program at the county Department of Aging and Disabilities and sponsored by Fairfield Nursing and Rehabilitation. Register by calling 410-222-4464 ext. 3043.
- May 18—The Roundhouse Ramblers will present the Patio Party, weather permitting, at 12:30 p.m. on the center's back patio. Light refreshments will be served during the afternoon featuring music and dance.
- May 25—Closed for a county service reduction day.
- May 28—Closed for Memorial Day.
- May 30—The Arundel Christian School Arts Program recital will begin at 10:45 a.m. in the center’s mall area. The program will include vocal, instrumental and dance performances by talented young people directed by Levar Butts.
Brooklyn Park Senior Center, 202 Hammonds Ln.: Call 410-222-6847 for information.
- May 3, 10 and 17—The Brooklyn Park Center will host the free Caregiving Workshop Series from 6:30 to 8:30 p.m. Mary Fridley, founder of Gero-Resources LLC, will facilitate. Register by calling 410-222-4464 ext. 3043.
- May 8—The 43rd Salute to Seniors annual luncheon will be held from noon to 4 p.m. at . Tickets cost $20 for members and $25 for non-members. For reservations, call 410-789-2192.
- May 9 and 11—The center will host a program to teach seniors how to lower their prescription costs and more about Medicare from 10 to 11 a.m. Seniors can learn more about Medicare Parts A, B, C and D and learn how to apply for state and federal plans to assist in paying medical expenses. All attendees will receive a free prescription discount card.
- May 11—The center will host a Salute to Moms from noon to 1:30 p.m. See Sung Yi at the center to register for the event that will have tea, desserts and entertainment by "Music Today."
- May 19—Venders are being solicited for the Brooklyn Park Center's open house and flea market being held from 8 a.m. to noon. For information, contact Carolyn Scurry-Boyd, center director, at 410-222-6847.
- May 30—Reserve a spot to take a cruise of the Annapolis harbor by the Naval Academy on the Harbor Queen at 10:45 a.m. The cruise costs $13 per person with the option to purchase a box lunch for an additional $6.75. For information on the 40-minute narrated sightseeing cruise, stop by the center desk or call the center at 410-222-6847.