Are you looking for ways to give back this holiday season? Do you think you cannot afford to make a difference? Well think again.
In the December issue of O Magazine, a list was provided to show how far just one or two dollars can go to the needy.
- For $1 you can purchase two books in an African classroom where as many as 20 children share one textbook. booksforafrica.org
- For $2 you can pay for a set of drumsticks for a music student in a low-income public school. littlekidsrock.org
- A $3 pledge pays for a field trip to a concert, museum or theater for a high-risk youth. createnow.org
- For $4 you can purchase two hours of prepaid phone time to a soldier overseas. cellphonesforsoldiers.com
- A $5 pledge pays for a one-burner kerosene stove for a needy family. foodforthepoor.org
Just think of how far $20 would go between these organizations. You could save an animal, educate a child, feed the hungry, support our troops or create a smile. A full list of resources can be viewed here.
If you have a Secret Santa swap at the office, why not take a list of these organizations and have each person pick one out of a hat to donate to instead of giving something to each other that you probably do not need? This is a great way to get inspired and learn something new.
Please keep in mind that these are needs that are year-round and not just for this time of year.
Give a little … it goes a long way.